Crispy Panko-Crusted Tofu Steak
Crispy Panko-crusted Tofu Steak is a fantastic vegan dinner centerpiece. I love my Panko-crusted tofu steak paired with curry sauce or garlic soy dipping sauce. The crispy, crunchy golden Panko breadcrumb with the soft, slightly bouncy texture of the firm tofu. I’d said this is a recipe that will make you fall in love with tofu!
Crispy Panko-Crusted Tofu Steak
By cutting the firm tofu into steaks, coat it with spiced Panko-breadcrumb and then shallow-fry until golden brown. Can you use normal breadcrumb for this recipe? The answer is yes and no. Normal breadcrumbs don’t give you that much crispness. Personally, I like to use Japanese Panko breadcrumbs, which will make it extra crispy, but if you are gluten-free, rice breadcrumbs work well too. Different types of breadcrumbs will vary the end result in the texture of the crust.
Ingredients for Crispy Panko-Crusted Tofu Steak
This recipe makes two large tofu steaks, but you can cut the tofu into smaller pieces to turn them into tofu sticks if you like, or feel free to multiple the recipe as required.
- Firm Tofu– Pat dry the surface of tofu with paper towels. I wouldn’t press the tofu as you still want the moisture from the tofu.
- Panko Breadcrumbs– Panko Bread Crumbs are a key ingredient. Genuine panko breadcrumbs are made from a particular kind of crustless bread. Panko is lighter, it absorbs less oil and grease making breaded fried foods less heavy. They are never made from whole wheat bread. The word panko comes from Japanese, and panko is used a lot for light breading in Japanese cuisine. If you’re gluten-free, you can simply use rice breadcrumbs.
- Organic All-Purpose flour– This is for PANE. ( Pané ( French culinary term (pane) is a cooking method which means dipped or rolled in breadcrumbs before cooking.) For gluten-free substitutions, chickpea flour, gluten-free all-purpose flour, rice flour or cornflour both work out pretty well.
- Vegan Mayonnaise and Water– Mix vegan mayonnaise and water for egg wash substitutions.
- Spices- Cracked black pepper, Paprika( sweet or smoked it’s up to you. ) Onion powder, Garlic powder, Salt
How to make Crispy Panko-Crusted Tofu Steak
- Pat dry the surface of tofu with paper towels. Then slice the tofu lengthwise into two large steaks.
- Mix Vegan mayonnaise and water.
- Add Cracked black pepper, Paprika( sweet or smoked it’s up to you. ) Onion powder, Garlic powder, Salt to the Panko breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Dip tofu slices into flour( lightly- dusted), the vegan mayo mixture, and roll in breadcrumbs.
- For the extra-crispy result, you can double-crumb the tofu by repeating step 4.
- Heat up cooking oil to medium-high heat (around 160–170°C) in the frying pan, then shallow fry the tofu until golden brown on both sides. Take out and place them onto paper towels, then serve.
- For the extra-crispy result, you can double-crumb the tofu
Hope you enjoy this sexy tofu recipe! Let me know if you got better ideas to make tofu this ingredient sexier!
Peace and Love start on dining plates! 🙂
If you do try this recipe –rate the recipe & leave a comment! by tagging @joyful_dumplings_vegan_recipes. I love seeing your creations!
Other meal ideas you will like:
- The best easy vegan ramen
- 15 minutes Easy Vegan BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Burgers
- Singapore Noodles- popular takeout made at home
- Sha Cha Glass Noodles in under 10 minutes
- Super easy five-spice Tempeh popcorn with basil
- Yaki Udon(Stir-fried Udon Noodles With Vegetables)
- Asian Soba Noodle Salad
- King Oyster Mushroom Stir Fry with Cashew Nuts