Easy Coconut Rice
I love coconut rice! Coconut rice is the best accompaniment to most Southeast Asian dishes such as sambal, satay, and curries. When it’s done right, it’s fluffy, gorgeously fragrant. The best part is that it’s super easy to make either on the stove or in the rice cooker.
What’s Coconut Rice?
Coconut rice is a dish prepared by soaking long-grain rice( usually Jasmine rice) in coconut milk or cooking it with coconut flakes. As both the coconut and the rice are commonly found in tropical countries all around the world, coconut rice is found in many cultures throughout the globe, spanning across the equator from India, Indian-subcontinent, Southeast Asia, South, and Central America, East and West Africa, the Caribbean and Oceania.
Tips for Perfect Coconut Rice
I’m an Asian, but I don’t use rice cookers for my rice( Sorry! Uncle Roger!) Once you know how to use a pot to cook perfect rice…you really don’t need a cooker just for rice…( It also takes up space in the kitchen)
First, you have to wash and drain the rice at least three times. This step is essential for removing excess starch from the rice; rinsing removes the thin layer of starch from the surface of each grain and helps keep the rice from sticking together, also makes the cooked rice come out with perfectly separate grains and not gluey.
Secondly, soak rice for at least 10–15 minutes prior to cooking. Soaking rice speeds up the cooking by kick-starting the absorption of water before the rice even enters the pot.
Thirdly, off-heat continuous cooking is crucial. After turn off the gas, fluff the rice with a fork then covered it with a lid for at least 15 minutes without disturbing it. This part is to let the remaining steam keeps cooking the rice.
Last but not least, only 1 pot and 4 ingredients required for this versatile side dish. Let’s get started!
Ingredients for Coconut Rice
- Rice– best made with jasmine or long grain rice, medium and short-grain rice are too sticky for this dish.
- Coconut Milk– full-fat is preferred for the stronger coconut taste. Of course, you can opt for lite coconut milk.
- Toasted desiccated coconut( optional)- for garnish, it’s optional.
How to make Coconut Rice
- Wash the rice — wash and drain at least three times to remove excess starch from the rice.
- Drain rice then soaks in water for 10–15 minutes.
- Then drain the water.
- Add rice to the pot, followed by coconut milk, salt and water.
- Bring it to a boil on high heat, then immediately turn the heat down to low on a simmer for 10 minutes without a lid, until the entire surface of the liquid is rippling, then place the lid on and immediately turn off the heat.
- After turn off the gas, fluff the rice with a fork then covered it with a lid for at least 15 minutes without disturbing it. After 15 minutes, ready to serve!
I hope you love this coconut rice! It’s fluffy and delicious!
If you do try this recipe, let me know! –Tell me how it was and give it a 5-star rating below the comment section! Share your recipes by tagging @joyful_dumplings_vegan_recipes. I love seeing your creations!
Other meal ideas you will like:
- 15 minutes Easy Vegan BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Burgers
- Singapore Noodles- popular takeout made at home
- Sha Cha Glass Noodles in under 10 minutes
- Super easy five-spice Tempeh popcorn with basil
- Vegan Curried Tofu Fried rice- one wok in under 15 minutes!
- Yaki Udon(Stir-fried Udon Noodles With Vegetables)
- Asian Soba Noodle Salad
- King Oyster Mushroom Stir Fry with Cashew Nuts
- Really? Vegan Thai Basil Stir Fry!?
Let’s keep in touch! 🙂